God’s Perspective and Ours

Habakkuk 1-3; John 8 

“I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint [or when rebuked]…The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.”

Habakkuk 2:1; 3:19

Habakkuk’s frustration at God’s use of Babylon as an instrument of judgment against Israel can also be our story as we resist God’s discipline for sin. Habakkuk’s vantage point on top of the siege ramparts on the wall of the city gave him a certain perspective when he complained to the Lord. God revealed to Habakkuk how discipline was part of his larger, global, salvation plan, where the knowledge of God would one day cover the earth as the waters cover the sea. This much higher and broader perspective, like a deer on the heights of a mountain, is God’s invitation to us as we live on mission with him in the midst of war, conflict, and global turmoil. God’s salvation story is being written…

“…for your glory.”