Living With Sin

Jeremiah 3-4; John 11


“’…Yet you have the brazen look of a prostitute; you refuse to blush with shame. Have you not just called to me: My Father, my friend from my youth, will you always be angry? Will your wrath continue forever? This is how you talk, but you do all the evil you can.’”

Jeremiah 3:36, 4, 5

Repetitive sin habits are deceptive. What was once sin to us becomes normal and we even try to justify it. When this deception takes root in the hearts of God’s people, we see no contradiction between worshiping God as our ‘Father’ and ‘friend’ on Sunday, and then pursuing other lovers the rest of the week. God’s long-suffering and merciful heart has been broken by his people again and again.

Will we cry out to God to cure us from backsliding (Jeremiah 3:22)?

Taking an honest inventory of our heart’s condition and, with the help of a spiritual friend or mentor, returning to God in repentance can break the cycle of repetitive sins.

Are we willing to do the work of being honest and then returning to the Lord in Spirit and truth?

“Lord Jesus, I repent for deception in my heart. I pray for your truth to set me free, for your glory.”