Spiritual Blindness (and Sight)

 Zephaniah 1-3; John 9 

“…’For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.’… Jesus said, ‘If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.’”

John 9:39, 41

It requires humility to acknowledge that we are blind and cannot see our sin. The young man who was physically blind from birth had an advantage over the Pharisees in that he could claim lack of vision.

Why is it so difficult to acknowledge our need for God to show us our hearts and ongoing areas of sanctification?

A knowledge of God can become a point of pride and self-justification, rather than humility and ongoing dependence on the Lord.

Can we see, or are we, too, able to acknowledge we are blind in many areas of our life, including our needs and the work of God?

“Lord Jesus, I need you. Expose my heart and set me free from all that blinds my heart to you, for your glory.”