Weapons of the Lord

Jeremiah 50-51; 3 John


“You are my war club, my weapon for battle – with you I shatter nations, with you I destroy kingdoms, with you I shatter horse and rider…”

Jeremiah 51:20, 21

Jeremiah was a weapon in the hand of the Lord as he proclaimed the Word of the Lord. We wrestle, or fight, not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers (Ephesians 6:12). Our battle is against the thoughts and ideas, which oppose the kingdom of God through the world, the sinful nature, and the devil. Jeremiah’s words were spoken to both Israel and its enemies. Like Joshua, who fell prostrate before the commander of the army of the Lord (Joshua 5:13-15), God doesn’t take sides in our earthly conflicts. God’s kingdom mission is to reconcile all things to himself through Christ. The proclamation of the Gospel of peace is a battle which has cost many servants of the Lord their lives.

Do we clearly understand the nature of this spiritual battle and our part in it?

“Lord Jesus, your Word and Spirit are a sword in my mouth which I submit to, for your glory.”