A Quiet Soul

 Ezra 9-10; Psalms 131; Luke 21 

“My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore.”

Psalm 131

Would we describe our soul as quiet or noisy?

We have choices in how we respond to the circumstances of life. The prayer of surrender acknowledges that pride and concerns turn up the volume of our soul so we find it difficult to hear the Lord. When ‘great matters’ fill our thoughts, we can choose to surrender them fully to the Lord. We then approach God, not as a vending machine dispensing decision-making counsel, but as a mother in whose arms we can rest contentedly.

Are we ‘weaned’ of our need to control our circumstances, and even God?

Humility quiets our soul as we open our hands to the Lord, surrendering the great and small matters of life to him. Our hope and contentment are found in the Lord, not in answers.

“Lord God, I rest in you and trust your care and love in all matters, for your glory.”