Servant Leadership

Nehemiah 1-2; Psalms 133; Luke 22


“…the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves…I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones…But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of mighty God.”

Luke 22:26, 29, 30, 69

Christ’s kingdom is so unlike the kingdoms of this world. Christ made citizenship in his kingdom possible by dying to pay the sin-penalty of humanity. He exemplified a radically different definition of leadership by modeling and calling his disciples to serve, rather than exercise positional authority in his kingdom. The authority to rule in the age to come is earned by the willingness to serve and even die for the gospel of the kingdom in this age. Like Jesus, we are tempted with offers of the kingdoms of this world, rather than die to self and live on mission in the way of Jesus.

Which kingdom are we living for and serving in?

“Lord Jesus, your humility and obedience to the will of the Father challenges me and is my example, for your glory.”