Facing Troubles

 John 12-14 

“’Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!’...After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, ‘I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me…Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me…Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

John 12:27, 28; 13:21; 14:1, 27

Jesus was troubled as he faced the torturous death of the cross and the betrayal of one of his disciples. Yet, he called his disciples to not be troubled as they faced a future without his physical presence leading them.

What is troubling our hearts today?

Jesus spoke to his own troubled heart by reminding himself of God’s salvation-purposes which put the price of the cross in perspective. Jesus also recommitted to bringing glory to the Father’s name through how he responded to trouble. His call to his disciples and to us is to put our trust in God and receive his gift of peace while we surrender our fears to him.

Will we choose to respond to our troubles in the same way?

“Lord Jesus, I, too, chose to surrender my questions and troubles to you today. Fill me with your peace, for your glory.”