Listen to our Healer

Exodus 14-16; Acts 2 


“…there he tested them. He said, ‘If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you’”

Exodus 15:25, 26

The first use of ‘Jehovah Raphe’ – the Lord who heals, is found in the Exodus account of testing in the Sinai desert. The healing was conditional on God’s people listening to and obeying his voice and commands. The Lord later renewed this conditional promise at Mount Sinai in Exodus 19:5. The same conditions are repeated in Hebrews 4 and 12. Healing and obedience are connected. That is why we confess our sins to one another that we might be healed (James 5:16). God promises to also heal our land if we will humble ourselves and pray and run from our wicked ways. As we seek his face, not just his healing, Jehovah Raphe will hear from heaven, forgive our sin, and heal our land (2 Chronicles 7:14).

What is the Lord our Healer inviting us to do this day, both for our own lives and for our community?

“Lord Jesus, you are my Healer, my Deliverer, and my Savior. Thank you for the healing power of your atonement on the cross for me, I choose to listen and obey you this day, for your glory.”