Makes Me Lie Down

Numbers 7; Psalms 23; Acts 27


“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul…”

Psalm 23:1-3

Sometimes the Lord intervenes in the frantic pace of our lives and the noise of our inner soul and ‘makes’ us lie down. Much like a child fighting their afternoon nap, we resist stopping and resting. Without rest and worship, we, too, get cranky and depleted. It is the grace of God which makes us lie down and which leads us to quiet waters. Only God can restore our soul. The entertainment, self- indulgences, and relational stimulation quick fixes don’t fill and refresh our inner life like the presence of the Lord. 

Before our Shepherd makes us lie down, will we willingly come to him and lay at his feet?

Will we willingly follow him to quiet waters and drink deeply of his Spirit and living Word?

“Lord Jesus, my Shepherd, I come to you this day for refreshment of my soul and quieting of my spirit, for your glory.”