Not Trusting Enough

Numbers 19-20; Psalms 28; Mark 5 


“…’Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?’ Then Moses raised his arm and struck the rock twice with his staff. Water gushed out, and the community and their livestock drank. But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, ‘Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.’”

Numbers 20:10-12

In the dryness and hardness of Meribah, Moses failed the test. It was a test of obedience to God’s command to speak to a rock. Instead, Moses struck the rock twice with his staff and arrogantly questioned why he had to bring water out of the rock. When leaders become so familiar with the presence of the Lord and serving as his instruments that they forget it is the Lord who is blessing, enabling, and bringing the increase, then these leaders are at risk. Pride causes us to trust in what worked in our last meeting, last service, or last challenge, rather than seeking to fully trust and obey God’s Word to us today. When we assume what God wants to do, we, like Moses and Aaron, fail to honor God as holy in the sight of his people.

Will we humble ourselves and obey the Lord?

“Lord God, I repent of assuming I know what you want to do. I desperately need you in all areas of my life, for your glory.”