Gratitude

Judges 11-12; Psalms 50; 2 Corinthians 1 

“I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills…Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you will honor me.”

Psalm 50:9, 10, 14, 15

God exposes and rebukes the deception of transactional spirituality among his people. Believing that sacrifices can earn God’s favor so we can live with greed, lust, gossip, and slander creates a god in our own image and one who is altogether like us. 

The Mighty One, God the Lord says, “…I am God, your God…He who sacrifices thank-offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.” (Psalm 50:7, 23)

When our relationship with God is based on worship and thankfulness, we don’t expect to receive anything in return. There is no room for spiritual entitlement when our salvation is by grace alone. Humility acknowledges sin, repents quickly, and keeps a focus on Jesus.

“Lord Jesus, you are my salvation and everything I have comes from you. Thank you for life, family, ministry, and the privilege of knowing you, for your glory.”