The Cost of Mission

Joshua 18-20; 1 Corinthians 9


“Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible…I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some…No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

1 Corinthians 9:19, 22, 27

The cost of living on mission with Jesus every day, no matter where we are, is high. Paul said it is like being a slave of others in order to win them. He also said that the self-control and personal disciplines of discipleship are like enslaving our own bodies to the obedience of Christ.

Why would we restrain our freedoms like this?

Paul said he wanted to win as many people as possible to the gospel and save them. He also wanted to win the ‘well done’ prize of faithful obedience to Jesus.

Are we willing to pay any price for the gospel?

Does living on mission every day as a disciple of Jesus matter to us enough to restrain our freedoms?

When we live for Jesus and his kingdom mission we find the happiness and joy in life that we were looking for.

“Lord Jesus, you are worth any price. Your mission is my mission, for your glory.”