Be Still and Know

2 Kings 17; 2 Chronicles 28; Psalms 46; James 3 


“Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire. Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Psalm 46:8-10

Few verses in the Bible are as familiar or taken out of context more than the Psalmist’s prophetic words, “Be still, and know that I am God.” The context is global judgments and desolations which humble the nations and cause God’s people to fear the Lord, to ‘be still and know that I am God’. This is more than a call to meditation in our quiet time with God. This call to be still is a call to stop serving the god’s of nationalism, war, and materialism. It is a call to fully surrender our lives, families, and nation to the Lord, recognizing that he alone holds the nations in his hand. This is a call to fear the Lord who is our only refuge.

“Lord God, you are my refuge and you are worthy of worship, honor, and praise, for your glory.”