New Things

Isaiah 40-42; 1 Peter 3

“’I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols. See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you.’”

Isaiah 42:8, 9

One of the ways God brings glory to himself is by speaking prophetically and preparing his people for what is to come. John the Baptist was a voice calling, “In the desert, prepare the way for the Lord;…” (Isaiah 40:3) John’s life and ministry fulfilled prophesy. Similarly, Jesus’ life, ministry, suffering, death, and resurrection were prophesied. The former things took place because God spoke them into being. None of the disciples understood that the Messiah would suffer and die for the sins of the world before he would usher in the fulfillment of God’s kingdom reign on earth. However, we live in anticipation of Christ’s return despite the cataclysmic world events that precede his return. We believe God’s Word stands forever (Isaiah 40:8). God is and will be glorified in the fulfillment of his Word.

Are we listening to the Word?

“Lord Jesus, you are the Living Word and I anticipate your return. May your kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in heaven, for your glory.”