Our Portion Forever

 Hosea 10-12; Psalms 73; Hebrews 4 

“Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Psalm 73:23-26

There is no greater gift or treasure than the reality of God’s presence with us, filling us with peace, love, joy, faith, and hope.

What is the strength of our heart?

What is our confidence placed in? – Our bank account? The housing market? Our paycheck? Our family?

The Psalmist chose to lift his eyes off of the prosperity of the wicked and focus on the Lord. When we consider eternity, we understand that nothing of this world goes with us. Our treasures in this world are temporal. The joy that comes with a new purchase or gadget or relationship is temporary. With the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, this Psalmist’s understanding of the presence of the Lord in his life would have gone to a completely different level. The presence of the Lord is our treasure, now and for eternity. Many have not found this treasure and are still chasing earthly trinkets. There is more!

“Lord Jesus, thank you for your presence through the Holy Spirit. You are my treasure, for your glory.”