Greater Things

Jeremiah 10-12; John 14

“’Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.’”

John 14:11-13

As the works and miracles that Jesus did were evidence that the Father was living in him by the power of the Holy Spirit, we, as Christ-followers are expected to do the same works that Christ did, and even greater things as evidence that Christ dwells within us. This is both a very encouraging and challenging statement because the implication is that the absence of the works or miracles of Christ in our lives means we and the world around us must question whether we are experiencing the reality of Christ and the Father living at home within us. Our faith in Christ must be evidenced by more than church attendance or occasional Bible reading and prayer. It should be normal for the works of Christ to be displayed through our lives to the glory of the Father.

“Father God, glorify your name in and through me.”