Idols

Ezekiel 12-14; Revelation 5 

“…’When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the Lord will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry. I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.’”

Ezekiel 14:4, 5

What is an “idol in our heart”; or, a wicked “stumbling block” before our faces that grieves the heart of God?

We can answer this question generally and point to the entertainment and “screen addictions” of this generation; the materialism evidenced in our pursuit of newer, bigger, better; or the fixation on fashion and emulation of the “stars”. However, a more personal, reflective prayer could be, “Lord, search me and know me. What idols or stumbling blocks have I set up in my life which grieves you?”

The Spirit of God convicts us of sin so that we humble ourselves and repent. God’s desire is always to recapture our hearts from whatever has influenced and overcome us. He alone desires to be our first love.

“Lord Jesus, you are my life and I choose you. Expose my idols and set me free, for your glory.”