God’s Promises and Ways are Better

 Jeremiah 42-44; Psalms 48; Revelation 13

“If you stay in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down; I will plant you and not uproot you, for I am grieved over the disaster I have inflicted on you. Do not be afraid of the king of Babylon, whom you now fear. Do not be afraid of him, declares the Lord, for I am with you and will save you and deliver you from his hands. I will show you compassion so that he will have compassion on you and restore you to your land.”

Jeremiah 42:10-12

This amazing statement of God’s love, mercy, and sovereignty was rejected by Israel’s remnant in favor of seeking protection from Pharaoh. The “I will” statements echo God’s promises to Moses and Israel in Exodus 3 when God first delivered Israel from the slavery of Egypt.

Why do we, like Israel, think that the false security of our pension plans, our nations, or our jobs can replace fully surrendering our lives into the hands of God?”

Amazingly enough, God promised to show his compassion to the remnant so that Nebuchadnezzar would show compassion to them. God’s hand still moves the hearts of kings today! Israel asked for God’s word, but only as it agreed with their pre-conceived plans.

Do we try to manipulate God and his Word the same way?

Do our hearts trust God fully today?

Ask the Lord to show us any double-minded thinking in our lives and then repent and ask him for freedom. He is still compassionate and faithful.

“Lord Jesus, save me from double-minded thinking and living, for your glory.”