Open Wide Your Mouth

Daniel 3- 4; Psalms 81; Revelation 17 


“I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices…But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.”

Psalm 81:10-12, 16

Jesus reminded his disciples that his food was to do the will of his Father and to finish his work (John 4:34). Jesus rebuked Satan by quoting Deuteronomy 8:3, “man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.” However, for us to listen and obey the Word of the Lord, we require humility. In the picture of opening wide our mouths to consume, God’s Word reminds us of a good meal. God desires to feed us with the “finest of wheat” and “honey from the rock”. The hidden truths which surprise and delight us in God’s Word are available to those who seek the Lord, and open wide their mouths as they eat the Word, not merely listen to it. Following our own devices in a screen-addicted generation is like eating junk food or candy which do not satisfy.

Will we open wide our mouths and eat and digest God’s Word so that it strengthens and transforms us?

“Lord Jesus, you are the Living Word and my mouth and heart are open to you, for your glory.”