The Hallowing of God’s Name

Ezekiel 20-21, Psalms 111; Revelation 8 


“’For on my holy mountain, the high mountain of Israel, declares the Sovereign Lord, there in the land the entire house of Israel will serve me, and there I will accept them…I will accept you as fragrant incense when I bring you out from the nations and gather you from the countries where you have been scattered, and I will show myself holy among you in the sight of the nations. Then you will know that I am the Lord…You will know that I am the Lord, when I deal with you for my name’s sake…’”

Ezekiel 20:40-42, 44

God’s judgment of his people Israel, and then his fulfilled promise to restore his people and gather them again back to the land of Israel, is an astounding action in the sight of all nations displaying the holiness of God’s name and nature. Jesus taught us to begin the Lord’s Prayer with “Hallowed be your name”. The re-gathering of Israel back to the land where God will reveal himself to them is a hallowing of God’s name, just as his severe judgment and scattering of Israel also hallowed God’s name. This act of restoration and re-gathering from all nations is fulfilled at another level as the gospel calls people from every nation into covenant with God through Jesus Christ. Just as God was faithful to his promises to Israel, so he will be faithful to his promises to the church and his name will be hallowed!

“Lord God, I hallow your name this day. Let my life be a fragrant incense for your glory.”