Sharp Double-Edged Sword

Jeremiah 52; Revelation 1; Psalms 143, 144 


“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you…”

Psalm 143:8

“I, John, your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus, was on the Island of Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus…and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword…”

Revelation 1:9, 16

Jesus’ word is a sharp, double-edged sword which came out of his mouth. David put his trust in that sword and submitted his life to the authority of God’s Word. John trusted in that Word and boldly gave witness to the power and resurrection-life found in Jesus. By submitting to that double-edged sword, John was exiled to the Island of Patmos. It is an incredible privilege to listen to the Word, obey it, and share it with others. However, this Word is a sword and it will pierce and cut our lives, even as we call others to know and follow Jesus, the Living Word of God.

Have we submitted to God’s Spirit and obeyed his Word, or just been entertained by it – like watching ‘sword play’ after dinner?

“Lord Jesus, I am listening to your Word and I will obey it, for your glory.”